Title:To The Warrior His Arms – The Story of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps 1918 – 1993
Author: Steer, Frank (Brigadier) MBE
Condition: Near Mint +
Edition: 1st Edition
Publication Date: 2005
Cover: Hard Cover with Dust Jacket – 348 pages
Comments: The history of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps from 1918 to 1993.
The Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC) was a corps of the British Army.
At its renaming as a Royal Corps in 1918 it was both a supply and repair corps. In the supply area it had responsibility for weapons, armoured vehicles and other military equipment, ammunition and clothing and certain minor functions such as laundry, mobile baths and photography.
The RAOC was also responsible for a major element of the repair of Army equipment. In 1942 the latter function was transferred to the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) and the vehicle storage and spares responsibilities of the Royal Army Service Corps were in turn passed over to the RAOC. The RAOC retained repair responsibilities for ammunition, clothing and certain ranges of general stores.
In 1964 the McLeod Reorganisation of Army Logistics resulted in the RAOC absorbing petroleum, rations and accommodation stores functions from the Royal Army Service Corps as well as the Army Fire Service, barrack services, sponsorship of NAAFI (EFI) and the management of staff clerks from the same Corps.
On 5 April 1993, the RAOC was one of the corps that amalgamated to form The Royal Logistic Corps (RLC).