Title: 19 (Fighter) Squadron RAF
Condition: Very Good
Edition: 1st Edition
Publication Date: 1989
Cover: Soft Cover without Dust Jacket – 64 pages
Comments: The detailed history of the No.18 RAF Squadron.
No. 18 Squadron of the Royal Air Force operates the CH-47 Chinook HC.2 from RAF Odiham. No. 18 Squadron was the first and is currently the largest RAF operator of the Chinook.
The squadron was formed on 11 May 1915 at Northolt. It was posted to France in November 1915, equipped with the Vickers FB5 ‘Gunbus’. In April 1916 the squadron re-equipped with FE2bs; Victor Huston became a flying ace piloting one of these. They then re-equipped with De Havilland DH-4s in May 1917. The squadron disbanded at Weston-on-the-Green on 31 December 1919.
When the war began No. 18 Squadron along with 57 Squadron comprised No. 70 Wing at RAF Upper Heyford, flying Bristol Blenheims as part of No. 2 Group RAF. The wing went to France as part of the BEF Air Component.
18 Squadron operated the Westland Wessex HC.2 at RAF Gutersloh, Westphalia in support of the BAOR from 1965 to 1980.
The squadron received its Chinooks HC.1s in 1981 and today operates 18 of the helicopters. The Chinook HC.2, equivalent to the US Army CH-47D standard, began to enter RAF service in 1993.
18 Squadron was the only Chinook squadron that took part in Operation Corporate during the Falklands War in 1982. All the Chinooks were lost, except one, when the Atlantic Conveyor was sunk. The remaining aircraft (Bravo November, ZA718) flew almost continuously until the end of the conflict. The pilot of the aircraft Squadron Leader Richard “Dick” Langworthy AFC RAF was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for his part in the air operations.
18 Squadron took part in the UK’s deployment to the Gulf following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. 15 HC.2s were sent from No. 7, No. 18, and No. 27 squadrons during Operation Telic.
Contains Awards for World War I, World War 2 & Falklands Campaigns, Commanding Officers, and Squadron bases.