Title: Moresby’s Few – Being an account of the activities of No. 32 Squadron in New Guinea in 1942
Author: Jillett, Leslie
Condition: Very Good
Edition: 1st Edition
Publication Date: 1945
Cover: Soft Cover with scarce Dust Jacket – 108 pages
Comments: The detailed history of No 32 Squadron RAAF in New Guinea during World War II. Dust jacket worn and torn and approximately 70% of the dust jacket exists. White out on the half title page, probably covering a previous owners name.
The Squadron was established as a reconnaissance and bomber unit, equipped with Lockheed Hudson aircraft, at Port Moresby on 21 February 1942. It was formed from elements of other RAAF Hudson squadrons deployed from their home bases for combat operations against Japanese forces. 32 Squadron played an important role during the early stages of the New Guinea campaign, conducting anti-submarine and anti-shipping patrols, flying bombing sorties against enemy airfields and flying boat bases, as well as conducting reconnaissance and supply missions.
32 Squadron’s first mission took place the day it was formed, when aircraft were launched to search for a reported enemy submarine. A few days later the Squadron undertook the first of many bombing raids on the Japanese air base at Gasmata. After only a few weeks of operations, due to enemy raids on Port Moresby’s Seven Mile airfield, the Squadron was withdrawn to Horn Island, Queensland but continued to stage out of Seven Mile on its missions, its aircraft refuelling there en route to their targets. In March 1942 one of the Squadron’s Hudsons was the first to spot the Japanese convoy transporting the forces for the invasion of the New Guinea mainland. Later the same month the Squadron was engaged against Japanese forces landing at Lae and Salamaua. In July 1942, 32 Squadron was active in the Gona area and during the lead-up to the Battle of Milne Bay.
Redeployed to Sydney in September 1942, 32 Squadron conducted anti-submarine patrols, initially from RAAF Base Richmond and then from Camden. In March 1943 the Hudsons were replaced by DAP-built versions of the Bristol Beaufort, which it used until the end of the war. The Squadron was disbanded in November 1945.
Includes Roll of Honour