Title: Forward – The History of the 2nd/14th Light Horse (Queensland Mounted Infantry)
Author: Starr, Joan and Sweeney, Christopher
Condition: Very Good +
Edition: 1st Edition
Publication Date: 1989
Cover: Hard Cover with Dust Jacket – 230 pages
Comments: The detailed history of the 2nd/14th Light Horse Regiment (Queensland Mounted Infantry) from it’s formation in 1860, through the Boer War and both World Wars and up to 1989. Includes a history of the 2nd Light Horse Regiment AIF and the 14th Light Horse Regiment AIF.
The 2nd/14th Light Horse Regiment (Queensland Mounted Infantry) is a regiment of the Australian Army, part of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps. It was formed in 1930 through the amalgamation of two other regiments:
* 2nd Moreton Light Horse (QMI)
* 14th West Moreton Light Horse (QMI)
In 1939, on the outbreak of the Second World War, the regiment was made part of the 1st Cavalry Brigade, along with the other units of mounted infantry in Queensland. In 1940, the regiment was disamalgamated into its antecedent units; the 2nd Moreton Light Horse eventually became the 2nd Australian Cavalry Regiment (AIF) before disbanding in 1943, while the 14th Light Horse was reformed as a machine gun regiment, becoming the 14th Motor Regiment before disbanding in 1942.
In 1949, A Squadron, 2nd/14th Queensland Mounted Infantry was reformed as an armoured car squadron, before being increased to a full regiment in 1950. In 1956, it converted to an anti-tank unit, equipped initially with 6-pounder and 17-pounder guns, before receiving 120mm anti-tank guns and recoilless rifles.
In 1960, A Squadron became part of the regular army, eventually being transferred to become B Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment in 1966. At the same time, 2nd/14th was redesignated as a cavalry regiment, re-equipping with armoured vehicles. The regiment was reduced to a squadron in 1976, before expanding again to a full regiment in 1980, being renamed the 2nd/14th Light Horse Regiment (Queensland Mounted Infantry) in 1981, equipped with the M113 vehicle in the armoured support role. In 1986, the regiment became an integrated unit consisting of regular army and army reserve soldiers. It converted to the reconnaissance role in 1997, and was re-equipped with the ASLAV vehicle between 2001-2004. From 2005, the regiment will be a purely regular army unit. The regiment became a completely Regular Army regiment in May 2005 when the Army Reserve members were given 2 weeks notice to either Corps Transfer or become regular army. In 2006, A Squadron was deployed to Iraq to serve as part of the third rotation of the Al Muthanna Task Group and the first rotation of Overwatch Battle Group (West). It has recently had elements deploy to Afghanistan and was involved in the Battle of Derepat in 2010.
Contains Honour roll and awards for gallantry.